Thursday, February 6, 2014

Studio Art 3-D Media Unit

Ok, so here is my first catch-up post for my Studio Art class.  When I left for my maternity leave, they were working on their pop art prints, which they matted when I returned.  After that project, which finished off the 2-D art unit, they started a sculpture unit with my substitute.

For the first sculpture project, they learned about George Segal and created these body cast sculptures using saran wrap and packaging tape. I've seen these sculptures before on Pinterest as well as done by one of the sculpture classes when I was in college.  I knew they would probably enjoy making them and that it would be a great group project for them to be involved in.  The unfortunate thing, if you ever want to attempt this project, is that you use A LOT of packaging tape!  Lucky for me, the students were able to finish these projects because I won a gift card from the Classroom Project challenge for my post about spending money for my art room!  Some of the materials I ordered for my high school room included a bulk box of packaging tape so that students could finish these sculptures upon my return.  I think each sculpture, when done correctly and made stiff enough to stand on its own, takes at least five rolls of tape.
The Thinker, placed in the cafeteria.  This one was the most sturdy sculpture and needed no help, aside from the stool it was meant to be propped on, to stand up.

Cheerleader placed outside the high school gym.  She used to stand on her own but her legs were a little weak.  This group went above and beyond using colored masking tape to add embellishments to their sculpture.

This one was a sculpture that held books (made out of paper) and was placed in the library.

This guy drooped a little bit after a while, but he was a basketball player, placed near the high school gym.  He had an orange balloon inside the ball but eventually the air deflated inside of it.

Students were graded based on teamwork, having a full bodied sculpture, the composition, craftsmanship, creativity and installation of the sculpture.  Students received two grades: one from me and one from their group mates as well.  They were required to ask permission to place their sculpture somewhere appropriately in the school.  Unfortunately, some students asked teachers to place them in their classrooms and even though the teachers said yes, they didn't necessarily have room to keep them displayed.  These four sculptures (out of 8 total) were placed in an appropriate public place in the school (which was the goal) to which the sculpture was made for.

The second project students completed in this unit was an abstract wire sculpture.  My substitute took full control over this project.  In the future, I think I would like to give them a little more information about painting these...I had originally envisioned them to be painted in a surrealism style, but these are still pretty cool looking!  They are wire hangers manipulated and covered with nylons, then painted with tempera paint.  Some students glued theirs to a cardboard base.






Currently my Studio students are onto our 4th unit, which is a ceramics unit.  My next post will share what we have accomplished so far!

2 comments:

  1. I have done this before, but never thought of doing it without a wood base. Thanks for sharing this and giving me a new way to manage on limited resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog..Thanks for sharing it..
    web design orange media

    ReplyDelete