Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Art 7: Acrylic Graffiti Piece

Ok, Mrs. Impey...it's time to get back into your blog!  I don't know what it is about this year, but I am so UNORGANIZED it isn't even funny!  It must be the 1-year old toddler I have running around EVERYWHERE!  I am so backed up on artwork...getting it graded, photographed, up on Artsonia, and on my blog!  

These are my 7th graders graffiti projects from this year.  Last year, we did the final project on the cover of their sketchbooks.  This year, I had them do it on 10" x 14" canvas board, and I like the results much better!  You can look back at last year's project to get the gist of the planning behind this.






Of course, after I had already completed this project, I attended the NYSATA conference and one of the workshops I attended was about graffiti.  I'm SO EXCITED about the new concepts and techniques I learned...I wish I could do this unit all over again!  One of the websites I learned about is Graffiti Creator.  From what I understand, it's been around for a while, but I don't know how I missed it!

Usually, I have the students free-hand all of their lettering, and I usually only get a hand full who are naturally talented with the wildstyle fonts.  Next year, I plan on having them do the brainstorming process to come up with their tag name, and then, instead of designing everything from scratch, I'm going to let them play around with the Graffiti Creator website!  Once they've designed a tag, they will then transpose it from their print-out to their canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment